Tuesday 1 July 2014

THE CONFESSIONS OF A FREELANCER

Okay, so finally this comes after a lot of attempts at logging in and actually managing to find time and start writing. I had to eventually, it's been so long since I last wrote. And there has been so much that has happened, has been happening & will happen that I look forward to! And of course, a chat with my guardian mentor of blogging makes it all the more tempting to type it out vigorously! :)

But as much as that is, I somehow seem to be keeping more & more to myself. Okay, not in the sulky, negative, depressing nature of it but to put it sincerely, pragmatically. I have nosedived into work and that is all I am doing as of now, and hey....I am not complaining! Two reasons for that, because it is something that I want to do and it is what will fuel that swanky car/bike that I have my eyes on in the next few years along with all the luxuries money buys you, happiness at times included! Second, because it is not a JOB job that I do! I freelance and that has it's own share of perks & vices. You have to create work, talk to a hell lot of people, think fast & act faster & basically, brand yourself. You are your own company and your own responsibility. But that makes it better, no one to play the blame game with. You let your work talk for you.

So, well I have been making some progress. It's been more than a month of slogging, meeting people, explaining them what I do, how it will help them. Proposals, presentations, meetings, deliberations, it almost sounds corporate, doesn't it! After all of the above, I have landed myself a few projects that I am at work on. Initially, the pace was a factor I was worried about. Things don't really happen swiftly you know, you have to continue to send reminders, pester, pester some more & then irritate to the point of submissiveness to get that project. But now I understand that that is the way it is. Probably everywhere. Also, the fact that I have work for now keeps me invested and hopeful. I know this is unlike my plans in college, which either fizzled out or were unreal. This is real life! Where you make or break yourself. Also, I refuse to call it a 'struggle' anymore. How can it be one? Nothing can be served to you on a platter. If you want something you have to want it bad, right? And you have to work to make it happen. Else, how would you realize the value of it. So, this is is not a struggle, this is, putting it terribly philosophically cliched yet true, LIFE! And just like McDonalds, I am loving it!

I remember the moment I decided to freelance. When I closed the very last door of a job that was open. There was so much of unstability in me. The risks of it, the fact that I would be doing it in my hometown which is not really famous in the media circuit, the feasibility of it and of course, the great Indian society which raised eyebrows, went silent or boldly enough at times, simply discouraged me about it. But somehow the possibilities of it were enticing enough to fight all of the above. And it seems to be working as well! 

Was seeing HOUSE, the series last night when I heard Dr. House say- "I have always endorsed working smart, not hard!" and how true did it ring! The thought of working smart, it itself is so refreshing! Think about working HARD  and then people talk about burning the midnight oil, walking that extra mile, sweating it out, giving it blood, sweat & tears and all that jazz! Yeah, I mean it was inspirational, it still sounds so but it's also heavy, so heavy duty. On the other hand,work smart. Light, fresh & intelligent & most importantly practical. I want to work smarter. Yeah, I know, I am making this sound like some big ass veteran when I am practically nothing professionally. But I see sense in it, I see reality in it & I have started to follow it. I think of my friends, people I count and how they must be sincerely working in a serious office right now while I am out on the streets, at home sometimes & working differently. But then I realize that we are essentially still on the same highway. I just have taken a detour and probably branched out into an alley. We will converge again & race each other, metaphorically & well, wishfully actually!!

Alright, enough of it for now. Got a couple of meetings lined up. I am not free you see, I am just freelancing!  

          

No comments:

Post a Comment